Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Wrapped In Plastic

There's such a buzz in my head - like a toy train that's been left running for too long. Tiny metal fragments melting to slag, to liquid. It's been hard to...muster. The day just feels a little too much like Little Bighorn or the last-dash-grab for a Cabbage Patch Kid. Outdated. Outmoded. Unfriendly. Throb-throb-throb. Beat-beat-beat.

There was something about the Web 2.0 video, wasn't there? Something kinda hopeful and helpful and rookie and shiny and enthused and powerful and special and slick and smart and maybe I'm just not quite in the mood to be blown away by it right now. It is really interesting. It does make you think - next year might as well be 100 years from now. Things move so fast. We are all so - connected - almost, probably, mostly, near-connected. Rethinking is the order of the day - that I can related to. Think and rethink and ponder and wonder and plan and scrap those plans and reshape and rebuild and dynamite past the cul-de-sacs.

A friend of mine was telling my about a friend of hers who is in grad school, a philosophy major, really into it. He wrote a paper about - I can't remember was the name of the concept was called - but it's the theory that people, humans, us -- we will always care more about the people closer to us than to people who are farther away. You care more about your family than your neighbors. You care more about your neighborhood than the one across town, or the one in another city, or state, or country. But - now - there's this...potential...that all of that kind of thinking - and my assumption, not knowing too much about this philosophy, is that that kind of thinking helped us develop strong ties that made us strong tribes and then cultures and cities and all of the rest of it. That kind of thinking may have to be...reworked, rewired in us. It might not be the most useful type of behavior for the next 100 years...or the next year.

I don't know what I'm talking about, I suppose. I feel like there's a layer of gauze between me and what I'm trying to say or...something.

No comments: